Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Single-Handing: Day Five

Okay, I'm counting down the days. Just two more days and Michael gets back (hopefully) to Astarte. Our friends Friedl and Angelika are now in Porvenir, so I have some help nearby. And some company other than the non-stop Kunas coming buy to sell lobster, crab, vegetables, fruits, molas, bracelets, etc. It really is non-stop. And if you're not on deck - they stay and call you until you come out.

Not much going on - did a small dinghy ride yesterday to run Yoshi and then got the dinghy motor back on board (by myself) and the dinghy all locked up. Also did a short swim. There are lots and lots of small (and some large) reef squids around. They are all around the boat and in the clear water you can watch them.
Last night we did have some good lightning and thunder with some rain this morning.

The other night, there was an incredible sight around the boat. I thought someone was outside because I heard all this splashing - but it was just some splashing fish. And then I noticed the water was "aglow" with phosphorescence. There were short bits, long strands, blinking ones and swimming glows. It was amazing - they were everywhere. It was like an underwater light show. I had hoped it would be that way again last night, but there was nothing. Perhaps it was glow worm sex - being quite close to a reef and also a full moon just passed. Who knows - but it was one of those magical, memorable sights that you enjoy while cruising.

Had company for dinner last night and cooked up a storm. Made my mom's stuffed cabbage recipe and had a lobster salad and a decadent chocolate cake. It kept me entertained (and away from cleaning).

Otherwise, all is safe and good aboard Astarte. She's taking good care of me. I do miss Michael. He'll be back Thursday on the early flight (Kathryn and Mark - it arrives about 0635 and seems to be on-time most days).

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment