Sunday, April 12, 2015

(no subject)

We are back in the water after six weeks in the Docklands 5 boatyard. We highly recommend that yard – a great place to get work done. We spent the weekend in the "sling" to get the last of the centerboard painted and use up the last of the bottom paint. We prepped for getting "splashed" on Monday morning (today) by clearing out all the lockers where new thru-hulls were installed so a quick inspection could be made once in the water. Glad to say, no leaks and no drips! Had a small issue getting the big engine started after sitting unused for six weeks – will have to check that out. We made it down river – but got caught in a nasty squall just as we were about to make the turn into Marsden Cove. Saw 35-40 knots of wind and some heavy rain. We decided with the heavy winds and rain for the next few days and being tired from the yard, we would go to the marina for a few nights and get the last of the boat cleaned and put back together. Unfortunately the wind is predicted to be in the 25-35 knot range for a few days so getting Michael up the mast and the sails back on won't be happening. We still have plenty of putting things away and cleaning up below catching up on some rest is in order as well.
So what did we do for six weeks....

Mast down and new electrical wire, new coaxial cable and a new antennae installed.
New head stay put on.
Head sail furler serviced.
Mainsail furler serviced (new bearings at mast head installed)
All rigging inspected and stainless fittings hand polished.
Old thru hulls removed (not an easy task as several required being "sawed" out.)
New thru hulls installed.
Old cockpit floor removed (this required taking off the pedestal, table, compass, steering, throttle, bilge pump etc.)
Bilge pump crumbles thanks to aluminum and copper corrosion (engineer must have skipped the class on dissimilar metals). New bilge pump ordered, received.
Binnacle sanded and prepped for painting with new floor.
New cockpit floor installed.
Binnacle/pedestal re-installed.
New bilge pump installed (and because the hole on floor was drilled backwards – more work than it should have been!)
New engine room insulation installed (see above about backwards hole!)
Steering re-installed and checked out.
Throttle and engine connections re-installed.
Stainless polishing.
Hull buffed.
Hull waxed.
Four coats of bottom paint applied (all prep- taping, priming etc.) Bottom paint peels and areas have to be treated.
Out of water survey done.
Cockpit table painted.
Grate put into galley door for refrigeration compressor ventilation.
Galley doors varnished.
Mast put back up and wires reconnected below decks. Several wires changed.
Chain plate thru deck seals re-caulked.
New pactor modem ordered, received and installed – but one cord too short so delicate soldering completed to extend cord.
New wifi "bullet" antennae purchased, installed.
New sink hose installed in both heads (lots of bad language spewed).
Anchor chain dropped and re-marked and replaced.
Anchor rollers replaced.
Prop serviced and re-greased.
Prop and shaft treated with "Prop Speed."
New zincs installed and a new one added to the shaft.
Wheels bought and mounted on the new dinghy. Yet to be tested!!
Ditch bag inspected and old flares removed – new flares purchased.
Life raft inspected and repacked (then re-sent to re-packer for further work).
Hundreds of trips to "All Marine" Chandlers and other shops in town for paint, screws, fittings, hoses, bolts etc.
Hundreds of trips up and down a twelve step ladder made day and night.
Plus we had all the daily cooking, shopping, cleaning, laundry etc to get done – under more difficult conditions (except the laundry!).

We met some very cool people in the yard and got to know two couples who we really enjoyed spending time with and who were most helpful with lifts into town – Walter and Estelle on a beautiful junk rig boat "Pacific Spray" and Barbara and Dennis aboard a classic Shannon, "Landfall."
We spent a fortune and the new Zealand economy is happy! It was time to pay for the great six years of hopefully we can enjoy a little cruising time with "Astarte" looking quite spiffy.
Now time for a nap!

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

No comments:

Post a Comment