Sunday, June 28, 2009

Astarte' Dances

ASTARTE' DANCES

Guest Post by Frank Willson

I've often bared witness that love begins with a simple dance. Tonight I enjoyed a wonderful evening in the late night cockpit of Astarte' experiencing one of the most amazing dances I've ever witnessed.

Barbara first explained to me that the name Astarte' was based on the Goddess of Passionate Love. Can love begin without dancing? That remains to be seen. While not a veteran of the larger boat cruising society, I've negotiated watercraft since I was six years old and know a very simple axiom; when you anchor off of the bow, the bow is the pivot. Astarte' begs to differ. Her dance begins with a slow slink back on the "snubber" which is the flexible line that supplements the anchor chain off the bow and gives the boat a little leeway through the current and waves. From there she tends to have a little fun.

Tonight I witnessed how she slowly gathers momentum towards the anchor and then will playfully allow the bow to drift with the wind, which tonight was a slow turn to port and a slight drift aft toward the back of the bay. What this afforded me was my first true glance of the "southern cross" constellation that we all know from the Crosby, Stills, and Nash song. My apologies to David, Steven, and Graham, but they simply didn't do it justice (and Michael and Barbara explained that I didn't see it in its full glory.) I was still captivated.

As the music from the Grenadian Bar echoed off the hills of the bay I couldn't help but be amazed by Astarte's dance. the peaceful playfulness of it. She gave me a glance of the Southern Cross and then returned to her bearing into the wind. I got the sense that she was toying with me and I found it delightful.

Tomorrow, weather willing, we will sail back to Prickly Bay and I will get to see how Astarte' goes from her mischievous anchorage behavior to a jog heading to the next bay. I'm very excited. However, if the weather doesn't cooperate, that will still be fine. We still might enjoy a game of dominoes at the marina with other cruisers which would also be a great snapshot into the cruising lifestyle and we'll meet some fellow cruisers flying flags off of their boats from Canada, Great Britain, South Africa, and Switzerland.

Michael and Barbara continue to be gracious hosts and wished me a good night, after a wonderful dinner, as they observed "cruisers midnight" which is much earlier than I'm used to. Through their graciousness, I was able to enjoy a nice nightcap with a wonderful lady named Astarte' and experience a night I'll never forget. Thank you.

UPDATE. Sunday we made it in to Prickly and Michael and Barbara, showing extreme lapses in judgment, let me the helm for part of the journey. An experience I'll treasure for the rest of my life. It was a fun experience that ended when Michael said, "Well! Cheated death once again. Let's head for the bar!

Flying out tomorrow and will miss two great friends and one special lady. Thank you all once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment